Outside the box

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Outside the box

Post by Archived Topic » Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:15 pm

Is the phrase "outside the box," as in thinking outside the box, too trendy a buzzword for a business name? Will it have the same effect 5-10 years from now, or will it be dated?
Submitted by OTB
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Outside the box

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:29 pm

Dear OTB, This is just my humble opinion, but I think that ‘outside the box,’ which was really a good concept, has been so overused that is already a cliché – and it’s not even 5-10 years from now yet! A Google search produced over 600,000 hits, 50,000 of which were the names of businesses – only kidding about he number of businesses, but there were many in the few pages I looked at. So seems to me that naming your business ‘Outside the Box’ would be oxymoronic!

Ken G – July 22, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Outside the box

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:44 pm

I ran a Google search on "inside the box", and got a mere 184,000 hits versus Ken's 600,000 for "outside the box". So it seems as though sticking with the mainstream will, in this case, actually make you the outlier.

The question is therefore whether you would prefer to be seen as a daredevil conformist or, conversely, an egregiously conformist eccentric. It's up to you!
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Outside the box

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:58 pm

On reflection, I prefer "maverick conformist". But that's just me going off on a tangent.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Outside the box

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 8:13 pm

Erik, Could it be that ‘maverick conformists’ are ones who think outside ‘A’ box which is contained within a still larger box – so that one might then correctly surmise that they are “out of THEIR boxes?” (<:)

Ken – July 25, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Outside the box

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 8:27 pm

I think it depends on what target group you are aiming at and what you are selling. At 55, in manufacturing industry, I still like the phrase and it caught my attention.
Reply from Gary Goski (Camden - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

End of topic.