Zurich/Zürich

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Zurich/Zürich

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 11:49 am

Ahmed, it's more than just embarrassing: I again botched up the spelling of your name. Please forgive me.
Reply from Hans Joerg Rothenberger (Walenstadt - Switzerland)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Zurich/Zürich

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:03 pm

Edwin, you are close but too wet or frozen to write on. This is what I found," The correct Latin plural is codices, although codexes is also often used as a plural form in English. The codex was an improvement over the scroll, because its pages and spine allow easier reading, and pages can be written on both sides. Though early codices were made with papyrus, medieval book makers used parchment or vellum for their pages, which made them very durable, but extremely expensive. The scholarly study of manuscripts from the point of view of book-making is called codicology."

"Parchment is a material for the pages of a book or codex, made from fine calf skin, sheep skin or goat skin. Parchment is named after the city Pergamon where it was first invented. One sort of parchment is vellum, a word that is used loosely to mean parchment, and especially for fine parchment, but more accurately refers to parchment made from calf skin (vellum and veal come from the same Latin root). In the Middle Ages calf- and sheep-skin were the preferred materials for making parchment in England and France, goat-skin was more common in Italy."
Source: WIKIPEDIA

Hans,at least you caught it early.I do not know if I can be in a forgiving mood,if there is a next time.Just kidding.Yes, you are right this is a small world.Let us hook up I will forward my email addr.through Jim-our great Techie.
Ahmed
6th of July,2004

Reply from Ahmed ELNamer (Dawson Creek - Canada)
Post actions:

Zurich/Zürich

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:17 pm

Hans,did you receive my email address?
17th July,2004
Reply from Ahmed ELNamer (Dawson Creek - Canada)
Post actions:

Zurich/Zürich

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:32 pm

Ahmed, no I didn't. Otherwise I would have answered it. As an alternative (!) solution you may go to http://mypage.bluewin.ch/haro/about/about.htm. At the bottom of that page there is a scripted link (spam protected) to my e-mail address.
Reply from Hans Joerg Rothenberger (Walenstadt - Switzerland)
Post actions:

End of topic.