complains about a book they send me a cookery book without p

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:27 am

KATIA SPYROU
ARYBA 28-45888
JOANNINA-GREECE

HEALL COMPANY A.S.
12th STREET- ALLY
ENGLAND

Dear sirs

The last week i received the cookery book i asked. I had talked on the phone with Mrs Cary Smith and she didnt tell me that the book has no pictures.
To my surprise when i received i saw it. You should write in the advertisement on the "Par" newspaper that the particular book has no pictures.
Furthermore, think more logical. How on earth would you expect from someone to cook without no pistures? If someone had known to cook she/he wouldn'n have asked for your book.
Please call me or you can send me a fax in the numper 0154-66565 so as to figure out how we can solve this problem. maybe you can return my money, or i can buy the other book i saw in the advertisement. i think it's about English history.
Please contact with me as soon as possible
Yours sincerely
Katia Spyrou
Submitted by katia spyrou (joannina - Greece)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:41 am

Esteemed sirs and Mrs Cary Smith,

I write to you on a matter of supreme importance to my material and moral well-being.

Last week a cookery book I ordered from you arrived by post. To my dismay I at once noticed the complete absence of pictorial cues contained in it, whether drawings or photographs. Indeed, since even the covers are plain I had to wait for my good friend Ann Summers to call on me, as she does once every week, before I could be sure what it was about. Being English she is very talented, and is especially skilled at making deep appraisals of long-standing fallacies.

Dear strangers, at this point I mentally picture a puzzled frown begin to straddle your noble brows.

So please know this - fools, friends, and family have all commented at some point on my unusual ability to write without being able to read, a quirky by-product of an unorthodox and pharmaceutically oversupplied developmental environment which to you, as non-Greeks, is doubtless inconceivable. Although for me this has resulted in sporadic difficulties, I have generally got by - though it would be fair to say my life-path has thus far been tortuous. Incestuous, even.

But in this case you may imagine my particular distress, for I was heavily relying on deriving both the ingredients and the method of preparation of the dishes through introspection and visual interrogation of the illustrations, assisted by my superb powers of inferential logic and deduction, superior ability in differential calculus and my adherence to a strictly-observed, not to say Spartan, Buddhist regimen. After all, I am Greek.

Alas, however! Once Ann had interpreted the essence of the book to me it was immediately plain how this essential crutch to self-development and worldly knowledge had been cruelly struck aside from under me, and that what should have been my culinary vade mecum is no more serviceable as a work of reference than a collapsed soufflé. It will not now be for me to learn to savour from its perfect-bound pages the delightful 'oeuf à l'eau bouillante Delia', the marvels of the 'gros saucisson avec pommes de terre à l'école anglaise des années soixante', nor yet the aromatic mysteries of the 'spaghetti bolognese al forno nordamericano'. Having foolishly forgotten that not all others are blessed with my esoteric mix of mental modalities, I ordered the book by phone from you, Mrs Smith, but fatally failed to check its illustrational status.

I pray with all the fervour my earnest heart can muster that you may be able to substitute a similar, lavishly pictorial volume - one equally devoted to the sorcery of the saucepan - of comparable value.

Should this be impossible, my dear, inestimable vendors, I would implore you to exchange my own virginal volume for its advertised near-equivalent, 'An illustrated history of the siege of Stalingrad'.

Yours beseechingly,

Katia Spyrou

PS - Please check your street address, as I believe it may be in error.

Reply from Erik Kowal (Reading - England)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:56 am

Dear Katia,
Let's hope your English is good enough to realize that the eloquent and oh-so-satirical Mr. Kowal is having fun at your expense! Here is my much less creative but far more practical version:

Dear Mrs. Smith:

After our telephone conversation on ___ (Give date} during which I ordered the cookbook _______{Give title}, I was very upset when the book arrived last week to discover that it was not illustrated. The advertisement for the book in the Par newspaper did not specify that it was not illustrated. Had I realized this, I would not have ordered the book.
How on earth can readers be expected to cook without aid of pictures? I would like to return the book and receive a refund. Please let me know if this is possible. My telephone is ___, or you can reach me by fax at________.

Good luck, Katia!

Reply from bronwyn davis (marcy - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

End of topic.