use of affect and effect as nouns

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

use of affect and effect as nouns

Post by tony h » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:50 pm

I am suffering from an absence of brain cells today. I am struggling to find a clear, for a 10 year old, description of the usage and difference between the nouns affect and effect. Any help will be appreciated and a tot of Armeniac will be drunk in your honour.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: use of affect and effect as nouns

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Affect is a verb, A verb is an Action.
When something affects something else, it has an effect.
The affect happens first and the effect second, just as Affect comes first in the alphabet and Effect second.
Still convoluted I grant you, but it is a start.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Yes, that's the easy way and probably the only distinction a 10 year old needs to remember but "affect" can be a noun. The difference between the two when they are both acting as nouns would be a little hard to grasp.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:31 pm

"Affect" as a noun is limited almost entirely to the field of psychology, and occasionally spills over into the legal realm.

In psychology, it has two almost directly opposing meanings. "Affect" is either
  • The behaviour or set of behaviours that result from experiencing an emotion,
  • The emotion experienced in response to a thought or experience.
For ordinary folks, outside of the realm of psychology, "affect" is a verb and "effect" is a noun. To "affect" essentially means to "have an effect".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:24 pm

Thank you all. I get these questions as a result of the grand children being encouraged to explore multi volume paper dictionaries.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC