Yard - a challenge for (most of?) modern men

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Yard - a challenge for (most of?) modern men

Post by tony h » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:34 pm

History often questions whether we would be up to the challenges our forefather had. Also I just wonder if the highlighted part in red might be the origin of Geordie. I know the official etymology if from King George but a Geordie lass I knew was convinced otherwise :)

From the OED
yard, n.2

Forms: Old English gyrd, gerd, ( ierd), Old English–Middle English gird, Middle English–1500s ȝerd(e, yerd(e, Middle English ȝarde, Middle English–1600s yarde, (Middle English ȝerrde, ȝeord, yeorde, yherde, Middle English ȝierd(e, ȝeird, yeird, ȝeerde, ȝurde, Middle English ȝearde, ȝherde, yeerde, yerede, 1500s yerdde), Middle English–1600s yeard(e, (1800s Scottish yaird), Middle English– yard.(Show Less)

a. The virile member, penis; also = phallus n. 1 (So Latin virga.) Obsolete.
1379 MS Gloucester Cathedral 19 No. 1. i. iii. f. 5 [The urine] passith out by the ȝerde.
1382 Bible (Wycliffite, E.V.) Gen. xvii. 11 Ȝe shulen circumside the flehs of the ferthermore parti of ȝoure ȝeerde.
a1425 tr. Arderne's Treat. Fistula 92 I haue oft tyme sene puluis grecus for to availe in þe cancre of a mannez ȝerde.
1598 W. Shakespeare Love's Labour's Lost v. ii. 661 Boy. Loues her by the foote. Dum. He may not by the yarde . View more context for this quotation
1607 G. Markham Cavelarice i. 23 You must haue care that your stallions yarde be al of one colour.
1613 S. Purchas Pilgrimage vi. iv. 479 This yard, which they called Phallus, was vsually made of Figge-tree.
1693 A. Wood Life & Times (1894) III. 420 A monstrous child..It hath three yards and he makes use of them all at once.
1748 tr. Vegetius Of Distempers Horses 87 His Yard drops Matter.
1884 J. Payne tr. Tales from Arabic I. 30 Aboulhusn..abode naked, with his yard and his arse exposed.
in extended use.
1683 A. Snape Anat. Horse iii. v. 114 It [sc. the pineal gland] is also called the Yard or Prick of the Brain..because it resembleth a Man's Yard.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: Yard - a challenge for (most of?) modern men

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:29 pm

I assume your Geordie friend was just wishfully speculating, because you haven't said anything about what facts she was drawing on to back up her notion.

The crux of the issue is whether a strong line of evidence — and preferably more than one — exists to support her contention. Without that, her theory is purely pub talk.

Even if such evidence exists, it would need to be more convincing than the attested evidence of professional etymologists in order to overturn the conclusions from their research.

The information I found from a quick online search all points to a derivation from the name "George", though not all accounts agree on which George is the origin. So though there appears to be some wiggle room in the etymology, it seems unlikely that there is enough of it to be able to accommodate a convincing alternative explanation.

https://libguides.ncl.ac.uk/c.php?g=130223&p=851119

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/the-origin-of-geordie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC