Patience

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Patience

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:38 pm

When you’re in a restaurant, and you’ve been waiting a while for your food, when it does finally arrive, your waiter will likely say one of two phrases, either “sorry for the wait”or “thank you for your patience”. “Thank you for your patience” is a grammatically incorrect sentence that has become grammatically correct through it’s popularity.

- Hi everybody! I found the sentences above in an online article. Do you, native speakers, agree with the sentence "“Thank you for your patience” is a grammatically incorrect sentence that has become grammatically correct through it’s popularity."? It is my opinion that "Thank you for your patience" is totally grammatical correct. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am eager to receive your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Patience

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:47 pm

The person who wrote what you quoted is an opinionated ignoramus.

You are correct.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 pm

I’m struggling to understand why someone would think it wasn’t correct...what am I missing? Is it because the customer may not have actually been patient and had no choice but to wait?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 pm

The face that the "patience" was probably forced on the customer also occurred to me, but the question of whether the patience was genuine has no bearing on the grammaticality of the utterance.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:36 am

Erik and trolley : Thanks so much for your responses. Enjoy your weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC