Route

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Route

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:18 pm

A: What's on your Thanksgiving menus?

B: Since I'm on my own here - not going to go to the usual huge gathering of friends.... hopefully, someone will bring me some actual turkey - otherwise, just another meal.

A: I know that many go the Chinese food route for Thanksgiving also. So, while I hope you get a traditional Thanksgiving plate, that may be an option for you too.

- Hi everyone! According to an online dictionary "route" means 1. a particular way or direction between places 2. a method of achieving something . Which meaning fits better in this situation?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Route

Post by trolley » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 am

#1 is closer to the idea being expressed, except, in this case it's not really a way or direction between two places. It's a way or direction between two (or more) choices. Imagine that your final "destination" is a Thanksgiving dinner. A traditional American Thanksgiving dinner is usually a roast turkey and a large assortment of family and friends. Because of COVID, Americans won't (hopefully) be having the usual large gatherings. Some may opt for just a lonely take-out (take-away) dinner and go the Chinese food route...or the Indian food route...or the Italian food route. A route is a particular path you would follow to get to your destination.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Route

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:18 am

trolley : Thanks a lot for your excellent answer. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC