Roger

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Roger

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi guys! "Roger that!" is slang, usually used in radio transmissions such as military communications, meaning "I understand" or "I hear you." Synonymous with "I copy that." Often just "Roger". Do you sometimes use "Roger that!" with family members, colleagues or friends in spoken English?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Roger

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:45 pm

Yes, sometimes, but usually with older people. They are more likely to understand the reference than the generations that have grown up with the internet.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:12 am

Erik : Thanks very much for your answer. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:28 pm

I for one would certainly never roger a family member...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Careful. Roger is my step-brother.
And Steven, even if he wasn't, I would never use the word in the way that you have suggested.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:14 pm

It's fairly common around here. I use it, myself. In the phonetic alphabet (often used by the military) "Roger" stood for the letter "R". Used in a reply, Roger means "R", which means "received", which means I understand what you are saying. "Copy that" means the same thing but is not from the phonetic alphabet. It is an older expression comes from the idea of receiving a message and writing it down. "Roger" has not stood in for "R" since 1949. Over the years it has been Rome, Roma, Robert, Rosa but "Romeo" has been the internationally recognized stand in for the last 70 years.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Phil White, Bob and trolley : Thank you all so much for your answers. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC