Tap water

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Tap water

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:56 am

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C03HT8/boy-th ... C03HT8.jpg

Hi everyone! Is there a term to call this whole public tap water thing, including the faucet and the cement part?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Tap water

Post by trolley » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:37 am

We call them "drinking fountains". I guess it's a sign of the times, but when I was a kid they were everywhere... in department stores, bus depots, random spots on the sidewalk downtown...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:29 am

I remember drinking from those both at school and in some public places in Britain when I was a kid back in the 60s and 70s. Sometimes the taste of the metal (brass?) through which it had been piped was pretty noticeable, especially on a hot day (or so it seemed). I've noticed that many people of my generation retain a taste for heavy metal.

Nowadays these fountains seem to have disappeared from many outdoor locations, or have fallen into disuse. However, more recently I have still regularly seen them in airports, conference centres and the like -- in other words, in buildings that are heavily used.

They may also be termed drinking stations, water stations, and (in another sign of the times) water bottle and cup filling stations...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:32 am

trolley and Erik : Thank you both so much for the terms. They are really useful. Have a good weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 pm

This is a drinking fountain extremely to near where I live. It was installed as a memorial to an industrialist who was active in the area.
The water has been turned off now and it has been rededicated as a War Memorial (hence the poppy wreath).
The modern little boy is my grandson.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:40 am

Bob : Thanks so much for your input and the picture. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC