Dodge to be

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Dodge to be

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:04 am

- Hi guys! In WWII, Kevin falsified a medical certificate to avoid joining the army. Are the two sentences below used correctly in this context?

1. In WWII, Kevin forged a medical certificate so that he was exempted from joining the army.
2. In WWII, Kevin doctored a medical certificate so that he could dodge to be a soldier.

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Dodge to be

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:44 am

I would write:

1. In WWII, Kevin forged a medical certificate so that he would be exempt[ed] from {the draft / being drafted}.

"Joining the army" is technically correct, but it would be better to be precise regarding the reason. The draft was compulsory; "joining the army" implies voluntary military service.

2. In WWII, Kevin {doctored / falsified / faked / forged} a medical certificate {so that he could / to enable him to} dodge {the draft / being drafted / getting drafted}.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Is it just me, or does using "doctor" (change in order to deceive) in a statement about something medical seem to somehow detract from the statement? I immediately thought there was some (attempt at) humour injected in there and questioned how serious the statement was. For some reason, I would not state that a a medical report had been "doctored".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:00 am

Erik and trolley : Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:23 pm

trolley wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:00 pm Is it just me, or does using "doctor" (change in order to deceive) in a statement about something medical seem to somehow detract from the statement? I immediately thought there was some (attempt at) humour injected in there and questioned how serious the statement was. For some reason, I would not state that a a medical report had been "doctored".
I think that's just you, trolley.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:30 pm

...and it probably won't be the last time!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC