Alexander-esque moment

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Alexander-esque moment

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Risen Magazine: How do you handle rough days?

Jennifer Garner: I think that really no matter what happens in your day if you can come through it as a family you will be okay. And you will get to the other side if you can have a little bit of a sense of humor about it and just have each other’s backs.

Risen Magazine: Tell me about a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day that you have had.

Jennifer Garner: Not that long ago I had the kids in the car ready to go to school and I was driving out of the driveway and I scraped my husband’s whole side of the car with my side of the car and ruined two cars in five seconds. That was an Alexander-esque moment.

Steve Carell: (Sarcastically) I actually scraped Ben Affleck’s car as well. That was my worst day. He got so mad.

- Hi guys! I Googled the meaning of "Alexander-esque moment" and found no results. What does the phrase mean in this situation?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Alexander-esque moment

Post by Phil White » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:56 pm

The quote you have given is from an article entitled "Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day".

That is the title of a 1982 children's book by author Judith Viorst. Disney has now made a film with the same name. In both the book and the film, the title character, Alexander, suffers a series of catastrophic events. Jennifer Garner is one of the stars of the film and is talking about her own bad day that can be compared to Alexander's bad day.

We can often simply tag the suffix "-esque" onto another word, particularly a proper name to mean "like".

"Alexander-esque" moment" = "Alexander-like moment" = "A moment (event) like those that happened to Alexander."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Oh....that Alexander. I was racking my brain, trying to work out exactly how side-swiping your husband's car related to one of history's greatest military strategists...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 am

I was thinking baby Alexander from Peppa Pig.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Phil White, trolley and Erik : Thank you all for your answers. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC