10th grade

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

10th grade

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:09 pm

1. Although Tom only went to school until 10th grade, he started his own business and made lots of bucks.
2. Although Tom only made it to 10th grade, he started his own business and made lots of bucks.

- Hi guys! Are the two sentences above grammatical and natural to use in spoken English?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: 10th grade

Post by trolley » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 pm

They both may be "grammatical and natural to use", but for some reason (that I can't explain), #1 seems a little oddly worded. There is something about the "only went to school until 10th grade" part that doesn't sit right with me. I'm not sure it's incorrect, but I wouldn't say it that way.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Trolley: Perhaps "attended school only {till / as far as} 10th grade"?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:02 pm

How about this: Tom only finished the 9th grade, but he went on to start his own business and made a lot of money.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:47 pm

Using the word "bucks" looks as though you are being artificially American. I have no idea if the word is still in common usage even.
And as an aside, I had to Google "9th Grade" to find out how old Tom was when he left school becaue 9th Grade has no meaning to a Brit. If he was British, Tom would have left school after Year 10.
To follow Bonnie's thinking... "Tom left school when he was 15, but he went on to start his own business and made a lot of money".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:41 pm

trolley, Erik, BonnieL and Bob : Thank you all so much for your answers. They are really helpful. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC