A ride home

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A ride home

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:49 pm

A: Could you give me a ride home?
B: Where do you live?
A: University City.
B: Sure.

- Hi guys! Is "Would it be too much of a bother for you to give me a ride home?" considered a natural replacement for "Could you give me a ride home?" in this situation?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A ride home

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:34 am

No. It is so overly polite that it sounds wheedling and somewhat passive-aggressive.

It implies a presumption by the asker that the driver would be unlikely to say yes if they were asked for a lift in a direct manner (either because it would be inconvenient or because the driver isn't a very nice person), so they are framing the request in a way that is designed to pressure the driver into agreeing to give the asker a lift out of guilt or pity.

"Would it be too much of a bother for you to [do X]?" is the sarcastic sort of formulation that an irritated parent might use to repeat a request to their teenage child to tidy up the mess they had made in the living room.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A ride home

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Erik : Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer. It is really helpful. Enjoy your evening.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC