Etymology of the Word "Wizard"

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Etymology of the Word "Wizard"

Post by HenryAiden » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm currently in the middle of writing a paper on the word "wizard" (as in the magical-bumbling bastards, not a software wizard) and if possible I'd like some help.

As of now, I'm writing this paper based upon the thesis of how the word/the use of the word "wizard" has degraded or shifted from a derogatory term to describe someone as "falsely wise" or plain/outright foolish (taken from the "ard" suffix) to what is now a person of mythical/magic origin/power (didn't originate until the 1500s, late middle ages), and is in a sense, a more "fluffier" and softer term (no one hates Gandalf or Dumbledore, right?).

If anyone has any interesting facts, please help out! All my research is based off of etymonline and the OED. Thanks!!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Etymology of the Word "Wizard"

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:17 pm

As far as I know the word "wizard" comes from the Middle English "Wys" meaning "wise".
I have no idea where the magical bumbling illegitimate men came from because I have never come across the concept. The wizards that I have met (in literature) have all been wise men.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:52 am

Henry,

I checked your two sources (etymonline.com & OED) and found no mention of as you said "how the word/the use of the word wizard has degraded or shifted from a derogatory term to describe someone as "falsely wise" or plain/outright foolish (taken from the "ard" suffix) to what is now a person of mythical/magic origin/power." I also also never heard of nor could I find in your sources, nor anywhere else, of the word wizard referring to "magical-bumbling bastards." ???

Ken Greenwald - September 9, 2020
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 am

I can think of a couple of wizards who dabbled in humbuggery. Merlin (Twain's version in a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court) and The (not so) Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz... not to be confused with Word Wizard's enchanting Aussie version.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi John,

I wasn't familiar with the word humbuggery, and it does have a nice ring to it. When I Iooked it up I found "humbug" was defined, but not "humbugerry". So, I would say a good fit for your two examples would be be something like 'the practice of a person who claims to be other than what he or she is, the practice of an impostor.' Is that what you meant it to mean? Anyway, you inspired me to purchase Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I have read many of Twain's works and enjoyed them all, but somehow missed reading this one, which sounds like fun. Thanks.

Ken - September 10, 2020
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Probably, like most people, I first heard the word “humbug” from Ebenezer Scrooge. I took it to mean “bullshit!” or “bollocks!” When The Great and Powerful Oz gets outed as a charlatan by Dorothy and her gang she says to him “Why, you’re nothing but a humbug!” and he agrees. I may have just made up the word humbuggery. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it before but I liked the sound of it and it seemed to work. If you’re a fan of Mark Twain, then I’m sure you are going to enjoy a Connecticut Yankee. It is my favourite book of his. It is great fun.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Humbuggery is a well-established word:

https://onelook.com/?w=humbuggery
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Damn! That's why it seemed to work so well.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC