Let me take care of it

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Let me take care of it

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:19 pm

(A and B have just finished their dinner at a restaurant. A asks the waiter for the bill and then the bill arrives)

A: Dinner is on me.
B: No. My treat.
A: Let me take care of it. I insist. / Let me take care of it. I won't take no for an answer.

- Hi guys! Which one is more suitable in this context between "Let me take care of it. I insist." and "Let me take care of it. I won't take no for an answer."?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Let me take care of it

Post by trolley » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:15 pm

They are equally acceptable. There are many ways to convey this idea such as "you can get it next time" or "I've got this". Another, that may sound a little odd, is "your money is no good here". Even though it may sound a little like an insult, what it really means is that although you are welcome to the goods/service you do not have to pay. Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if this expression did start out as a negative saying..."Your money is no good here. I'm not serving you...bugger off!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:46 am

trolley : Thanks so much for your detailed answer. Have a good weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:29 pm

Actually Steven, using all three at the same time would be completely natural and nice.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:01 am

Bob : Thanks very much for your suggestion. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC