I've got a pie in the oven

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

I've got a pie in the oven

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 am

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... g&usqp=CAU

- Hi guys! Does the elderly woman mean "I've got a grenade and I'll throw it at you guys" when she says "I've got a pie in the oven" in this situation?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: I've got a pie in the oven

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Being unsure who the people in the meme's top photo were, I ran a Google image search. This suggested that they were Antifa ("anti-fascist") protesters.

The meme appears to have been constructed by someone who sympathises with those who oppose Antifa.

The implication of "Y'all hurry up, I've got a pie in the oven" is that the Antifa supporters (whose values are implied to be incompatible with those of rural white America) are no match for the righteous old lady with the semi-automatic who is impatient to get on with her normal life as soon as possible but first needs to deal with Antifa to be able to do so.

"A pie in the oven" is not a euphemism for 'grenade'. It's an oblique reference to "(getting back to) life as usual", whatever that 'usual' might be in this case.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:14 am

Erik: Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. It helps a lot. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:57 am

When I read that title, I thought Steve was about to become a father :o
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:30 pm

trolley: Could you please tell me what you mean?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Having "a bun in the oven" is an idiom, meaning to be pregnant. That immediately popped into my head when I read "I've got a pie in the oven". It seems like something that could easily be misquoted by someone whose first language is not English.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:46 am

trolley : Thanks for the clarification. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC