Christ above

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Christ above

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 am

A: (Shows B the picture above).
B: Christ above, a flat white is not a white coffee.

- Hi guys! I Googled the meaning of "Christ above" but found no results. What does the phrase mean in this situation?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Christ above

Post by trolley » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 pm

It’s an interjection or exclamation of surprise, anger, disgust, excitement, etc. There are a ton of them… Yikes!...wow!...holy smoke!…shit!...blimey!...jumpin’ Jehosophat! They run the gamut from cute and harmless to profane and offensive. Tread lightly around these things (or just avoid using them). Phrases like that one, which reference God are considered blasphemous by many people… using God’s name in vain was one of the 10 biggies (#3) when Moses received the rule book. Even saying OMG is bound to offend someone.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:38 am

trolley : Thanks very much for your answer. It is very helpful indeed. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Of course "flat white" isn't coffee -- it's wall paint where I come from.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:17 pm

I drink my coffee black. Quite often when I order an Americano I get asked if I want milk,
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:17 am

Shelley wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:58 pm Of course "flat white" isn't coffee -- it's wall paint where I come from.
People say it's especially suitable for decorating apartments with.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:29 am

trolley wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 pmPhrases like that one, which reference God are considered blasphemous by many people… using God’s name in vain was one of the 10 biggies (#3) when Moses received the rule book. Even saying OMG is bound to offend someone.
There is another way of interpreting the term "using God's name in vain", namely when it is used in a way that implies that God would (or ought to) approve of or otherwise encourage something that the speaker approves of, is doing, or intends to do, especially regarding something trivial or mundane.

A trivial example might be the parent who urges their offspring "Eat your banana, Jamie. God wants you to grow up strong and healthy".

This is clearly a questionable assertion on multiple levels.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Shelley, Bob and Erik : Thank you all so much for your answers. Enjoy your weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC