too late

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

too late

Post by navi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:30 am

Which are correct:

1) Too late did I realize that he was a crook.
2) Embarrassingly too late did I realize that he was a crook.

3) Too late I realized that he was a crook.
4) Embarrassingly too late, I realized he was a crook.

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: too late

Post by Shelley » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi navi --
These are all acceptable, in my opinion. Some are better than others (1 and 4), and I think 4 is best of all. The comma helps, and would be useful in 3. Is there a reason you must place the "too late" at the beginning of the sentence?
Why not:
I realized he was a crook too late, or
I realized too late that he was a crook.

[I might add, "I guess you're sorry you voted for him, now, aren't you?"]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: too late

Post by navi » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:26 am

Thank you very much, Shelley,

You read my mind! I am impressed. Those are the kinds of sentences I often hear these days and that's why when I wanted to come up with sentences starting with 'too late' and 'embarrassingly too late' I came up with them. But, for the record, I have to say that I did indeed vote, but I voted for her, not him. And now I am going to bide my time, and come election day, go to a polling station with a mask on and vote against him one more time... And I hope this will be the last time I am voting against him!

I didn't expect you to figure out what I was thinking about when I was asking the question. Apparently, I am pretty transparent even with a mask on!

Respectfully and very gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC