Cakewalk

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Cakewalk

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:01 pm

A: What was your favorite 90s sitcom/series and why? (Friends, shows, fan). My two favs were That 70s Show... and Are You Afraid of the Dark. I soo wish I could be a kid again, life was a cakewalk.

B: Due to step kids, I watched a ton of Fresh Prince, and Saved by the Bell. I really wasn't much of a 90s sitcom fan in general, but I would catch bits and pieces of various shows.

- Hi everyone! I Googled and "cakewalk" has two meanings "1. an absurdly or surprisingly easy task. 2. a dancing contest among African Americans in which a cake was awarded as a prize.". Which meaning fits better in this case?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Cakewalk

Post by trolley » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:30 pm

In this case, they are referring to definition # 1. I was a little confused when I read that second definition. I had no idea about the African American connection to "cake walk". I have ever only known it as a children's game played at carnivals, picnics or community gatherings. Kids would walk around in a circle, stepping on numbered squares as music was played. When the music stopped, the children stopped and a random number was drawn from a hat. If that number corresponded to a number that a child was standing on, they won a cake. That's how easy it was. The cake walk performed on American plantations seems to have been more of a contest and doesn't sound particularly easy. It seems an odd expression...but it is still pretty common. A similar expression, with a similar meaning is to say that something is "a piece of cake".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm

trolley : Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:41 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks, Bob, for the link. In the 60s a cake walk was just the simple game that Trolley described. I was an adult before I found out it's origins & this is the first time I've seen it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:42 pm

Bob : Thanks very much for the link. Enjoy your weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC