onboarding

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

onboarding

Post by trolley » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:27 am

I was on a telephone conference this morning and the Procurement Manager from our sister company was talking about expanding their selection of products. He said they planned to "onboard" several new lines. That jumped out at me because I'd never heard that useage before. Who verbed that while I wasn't looking? As he went on, I started to think I had misinterpreted the meaning a bit. It wasn't just getting and selling new products...bringing them onboard, it was developing them and creating marketing strategies. It was establishing them as something that people wanted to buy.
"When we get them sufficiently onboarded blah...blah...blah..."
As soon as we got off the phone I had to check it out. "Onboarding" is business jargon developed in the 70s but all definitions seem to refer to the process of bringing on new employees and helping them to "get with the program" or "get onboard". I guess it falls somewhere in between orientation and indoctrination. I thought it was interesting and was something to ponder for a while, beside COVID 19. Stay safe, Wizards...wash your hands
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: onboarding

Post by Phil White » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Your online sources are correct. The business jargon, which has been around for a while now, refers to the induction (which was a perfectly good word) of new employees. I suspect that the speaker in your conference call incorrectly assumed a wider meaning. I certainly don't know it in relation to new products/services etc.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: onboarding

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:37 pm

I have been on-the-same-paged.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC