I'm still shopping

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

I'm still shopping

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:47 am

A: It's so good to see you. How have you been?
B: I'm doing great. You're looking as fine as ever.
A: Thanks. Are you still in the interior-decorating business?
B: Yes. And things are going quite well.
A: I'm surprised you haven't tied some lucky man down.
B: I'm still shopping.
A: Come on now, a fine woman like you shouldn't have to look that hard.
B: I'm looking. But it's hard to find a man like you. You think they're all gone?
A: Well, don't give up and settle for anything less than the best.
B: I hear you, no matter how desperate I may get at times.
A: It'll happen when you least expect it.
B: I hope you're right.

- Hi guys! I would like to ask you two questions. According to an online dictionary "tie somebody down" means "to restrict someone’s freedom to do what they want to do". But in this context I guess "you haven't tied some lucky man down" means "you haven't married a lucky man". Is it correct? I don't get the meaning of "shopping" in this situation. Is it slang? What does it mean?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: I'm still shopping

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:33 pm

You almost correctly understood the meaning of "tied some lucky man down": in this context, to tie someone down is to marry them, because both parties are then legally bound to each other.

However, Person A is flattering Person B by describing B's prospective mate as "lucky". The man would not be independently lucky; he would be lucky because Person B had chosen him.

"Shopping", in the context of this conversation, is a humorous way of saying "looking for the man I'm going to settle down with or marry".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:32 am

Erik : Thanks a million for your help. I really appreciate it.

Erik and other members, please allow me to ask two more questions. I guess "You shouldn't have to look that hard." means "You're beautiful so it's easy for you to find a partner.". Is it correct? Does "Don't settle for anything less than the best." in this case mean "Marry a decent man. Don't marry a random man just because you are desperate."?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:13 am

Stevenloan wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:32 am
I guess "You shouldn't have to look that hard." means "You're beautiful so it's easy for you to find a partner.". Is it correct?

That depends on what Person A had in mind by fine when he said "a fine woman like you shouldn't have to look that hard". It could certainly mean "physically beautiful", but it could also mean something like "kind", "benevolent", "well-educated", or a number of other positive characteristics. However, if there's no other clue as to what meaning was intended, I would guess that he was implying "physically beautiful".

Does "Don't settle for anything less than the best" in this case mean "Marry a decent man. Don't marry a random man just because you are desperate?"

Yes, pretty much. "Marry a man who is worthy of you".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:52 am

Erik : Thanks a lot for your answers. They really help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC