Ketchup

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Ketchup

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 am

- Hi everyone! What words do you use to distinguish these two types of ketchup bottle? I mean the two containers, not the ketchup.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Ketchup

Post by Phil White » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 am

Hi Steven,
Looks like Walmart don't like you linking to their pictures. Your second photo does not show up. Here is a different photo of the same bottle:

I don't really know the answer to your question, though. The first bottle looks like the type you would see in a restaurant or take-away, and the second looks like the type you would buy in a supermarket. Perhaps a "catering bottle" and a "retail bottle"??
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:26 pm

If the other bottle (which I can't see in your posting) was a flexible plastic bottle with a nozzle, that would be a squeeze bottle.

The Hunts bottle is a standard plastic bottle of ketchup with a screw cap.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Erik,
The first of Steve's images appears on my machine. The second doesn't. Could be your ad blocker that is stopping them from appearing.

One odd phenomenon: If you reply to the message and scroll through to the original post in the reply screen, you see the images. Very strange.

This is a similar image to Steven's first image:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Funny that, Phil. I can see only the second (Hunts) bottle in Steven's posting, but not the first (whether in his original posting or in the 'reply' screen). When I opened his posting for editing to extract the URL for the image of the first bottle and pasted it directly into my browser, I got a totally black screen.

Regardless, it seemed I guessed right about what sort of bottle the first one is, because I can see the image you posted that you said was similar to it, so Steven now has his answer. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Gets stranger all the time. I can now see all of them. I right-clicked on the image I couldn't see and chose "Copy image location" and pasted that into the browser URL bar to see the image in the first place. It may just be to do with the sizes of the originals. Either way, we are there now.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:50 am

Phil White and Erik : Thank you both so much for your answers. They are really helpful. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC