This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:48 pm

A: Fairly surprised, I received a service notice from my Lexus dealership for scheduled service. It was time and there was nothing else to do. I went online to book a time and found out I could book the same day. I didn't know what to expect at the dealership. Have they locked down the showroom? The showroom was "open" but dark and no sales people. You couldn't really see much. The amount of business they are losing every day must be staggering. I really don't know how much this country can take. I wonder if dealerships are getting a cut of that 2 trillion $ and how much? It'll be pennies on the dollar.

B: You make a good point, and it's one that gets me personally riled up, when people criticize the President when he says they we have to get the country "up and running" again. Contrary to what one segment of the American population seems to think, to the best of my knowledge, the US Treasury is NOT a bottomless well of money. It CANNOT support the general population forever. If businesses can't open back up, and people can't get back to work, and earn a paycheck, this will be 1932 all over again.

- Hi guys! I'm sorry, this conversation is quite long. When B mentions 1932, does he mean the year that "the economy continued to deteriorate and unemployment increased further to 24.1% , there were few jobs and many ordinary Americans were forced into living in the streets or in old cars"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: 1932

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:05 pm

Sort of.

As you implied, in 1932 the United States was in dire economic straits. 1932 was one year in what was subsequently loosely called "The Great Depression", a state of affairs that was relieved by government assistance in the shape of the so-called New Deal.

Person B is doubtful that this time the US government possesses the financial resources to rescue the economy.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: 1932

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Erik : Thank you so much for your help and the link. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC