Apples

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Apples

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:32 pm

- Hi everybody! What do you call this sort of apple? Is it grown in your country?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Apples

Post by trolley » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:48 pm

It's pretty hard to tell from that photo. There are thousands and thousands of different varieties and cultivars of what we call "apples". A few hundred years ago, all fruits that were not berries were called apples, but now apple is a more specific term. There are still some fruits that are not really apples but are still called apples...pineapples, water apples, wood apples, rose apples. In the top left corner of your photo you can see the "stem end" of one fruit. It does certainly look like an apple. The ones held in the hand show the bottom (blossom end) of the fruit. It's just a tiny little dot and doesn't really look like (what I'd call) an apple. Tell us what you call them...are they "Monkey Apples"?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 am

trolley : Thanks for your answer. As you can see from the new photo, this kind of apple has large seeds. About your question, in my country we call it "sour apples".

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:01 am

They certainly look like apples on the outside but that new photo looks like the inside of a stone fruit (peach, plum, mango). Whatever they are, I don't think we grow them here...at least, not on a commercial scale.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:12 am

As far as I can make out, it's the fruit of a species of ziziphus, otherwise known as the jujube, green jujube or Chinese date.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 am

trolley and Erik : Thank you both very much. Have a good weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC