Bob

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bob

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:59 am

CNN: After a big push last fall, the resort development division of Walt Disney World in Florida has identified more than 400 new and proven "plant-based" options on the menus of all its food locations. That's 580 locations in Disney World alone. And a similar effort is underway at the Disneyland park and resort in Anaheim, California. Just don't call these non-meat, non-dairy, non-honey options "vegan."

Facebooker: I love how meat-eaters always feel so threatened by stories like this and feel the need to defend meat (and often in a rude and condescending manner). I saw the same reactions to the Impossible Whopper when it first came out. Keep eating your meat, Bob. No one is going to take it away from you just because they are adding some non-meat options.

- Hi guys! I’m really confused. Why does the Facebooker mention the name “Bob” in this situation? The name Bob isn’t related to this situation.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Bob

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Good question. It's not a standard generic epithet for addressing someone in a demeaning and/or (over-)familiar manner like Bud, buddy, Bubba, friend, pal, mate or sunshine.

The only possibility I can think of is that the person being addressed is called Robert, of which the variant "Bob" is a pet form.

Regarding the content of the Facebooker's comment, I found this insightful article on the topic of why some meat-eaters have an angry attitude towards veganism:

www.medicalnewstoday.com/amp/articles/325220.php
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:10 pm

I've also heard 'Bub' - unless I'm mishearing 'Bud.' Don't think so as I'm very used to Bud - that was my dad's family-only nickname, short for Buddy. Never found out why - his sisters didn't have nicknames.

Re the article: My opinion (tho no one asked!) is that people who get upset by what other people eat don't get out enough.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:58 am

Erik and BonnieL : Thank you both so much for your answers. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:55 pm

Whatever it is, it has nothing to do with me!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC