Lamp

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Lamp

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am

Hi everybody! What do you call this kind of lamp?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Lamp

Post by Phil White » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Generally, we may talk about a "desk lamp" or "desk light".
That specific design of desk lamp is usually referred to as an "anglepoise" lamp.

"Anglepoise" is in fact a registered trademark, but much like "Kleenex", "Hoover" and so on, the term has become genericized and is used to refer to all desk lamps of a similar design, and not just those sold under the Anglepoise brand.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglepoise_lamp on the history of the Anglepoise lamp.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:12 pm

I didn't realize there was a specific name for them. I'm not sure how many people in North America would know what an "anglepoise" is. We usually call them "swing-arm", "balance-arm" or articulating desk lamps. Looking at the one on my desk, It's really a great design and seems to have hardly changed since the original in 1935. There's really not much to improve on.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 am

Phil White and trolley : Thank you both so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC