Checking attendance

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Checking attendance

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:24 am

Hi guys! In elementary or secondary school, when your teacher was checking attendance in your class, did each student say "yes" or "here"?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Checking attendance

Post by BonnieL » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:50 pm

We always said "here." Now that I'm an adult condemned to weekly conference calls, I answer "present" to make sure the supervisor hears me & my "here" doesn't get lost in random noise.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:12 pm

We either said "here" or "present". By the way, checking attendance by reading from a list of names is known as "calling (the) roll" or "taking (the) roll". It is a roll call.
Every morning, after roll call, we recited The Lord's Prayer, then sang Oh Canada, and God Save The Queen.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:34 pm

At my secondary school, what Trolley referred to as calling / taking the roll was known there as taking the register.

I too had to endure the Lord's Prayer, but my class was spared the kinds of gestures of forced patriotism that were imposed on Trolley and his classmates.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:12 pm

The patriotism was lost on me. I had no idea what I was singing about. I grew up in Victoria, British Columbia…so I was pretty sure it was
“Send her to Victoria, happy with Gloria” (I assumed that Gloria was a friend of hers). “Long to rain over us” (it was always raining, here).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:05 am

BonnieL, Erik and trolley : Thank you so much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC