Battery depletes so quickly

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Battery depletes so quickly

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 am

Hi everybody! When my smart phone loses battery really quickly after it has been charged fully, is it correct to say like below?

1. My smart phone's battery drains so fast.
2. My smart phone's battery depletes so quickly.

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Battery depletes so quickly

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Those are both fine.

When your phone loses its battery power, you can also say that your battery goes flat or runs down:

"My smartphone's battery {goes flat / runs down} so {fast / quickly / rapidly / swiftly}.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:34 am

Erik : Thank you so much for your help. Your version is really useful and fantastic.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:03 pm

I don't carry a smartphone or mobile, so I am not exactly qualified to speak, but I am pretty certain that I often hear people simply say "my phone's run out", so I assume they would also say "my phone runs out very quickly".

But, as I say, I wouldn't take as gospel anything I say about smartphones.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:54 pm

"My phone's run out" could also mean "I've exhausted my data allowance". But usually it would mean "My battery has gone flat".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:54 pm
"My phone's run out" could also mean "I've exhausted my data allowance". But usually it would mean "My battery has gone flat".
When out walking in the hills of North Wales about ten years ago, one of my comrades in the group uttered the Monty-Pythonesque "my platypus has gone flat".

I had to stop every hundred yards or so for the rest of the walk to giggle about that one.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 pm

The link you provide for the Platypus water reservoir for hikers points to their Hoser model, which I find humorous for reasons that have nothing to do with Monty Python.

When I lived in the States, a friend who grew up in Wisconsin (a state just south of the border with Canada) used to refer to some people as 'hosers'.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, that Canadian term means "A clumsy, boorish person, especially an uncouth, beer-drinking man". Yourdictionary.com gives chapter and verse on the origins and manifold connotations of the term.

An amusing further twist is that the manufacturer is American, and should therefore have been aware of the connotations of 'hoser' when deciding what to call their new model.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC