avoid vs prevent

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

avoid vs prevent

Post by trolley » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:25 pm

I heard a local politician, this morning, proclaim " We have put measures in place to avoid this from happening again." Does that seem correct? Did he misspeak or is that some sort of poli-talk...something a little less than prevention? Now that I think about it, he may have said "to avoid this happening again" which sounds a little better, but still...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: avoid vs prevent

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Given that the coexistence of the concept of "politician" and "truth", "integrity" or "logic" is a rare phenomenon, I do not see why the coexistence of the concepts "politician" and "linguistic accuracy" should be any more common.

In all seriousness, I suspect it was a simple slip. He had intended to say "prevent ... from", actually used "avoid" and still finished the sentence as if he had used "prevent". There is a term in discourse analysis that covers this kind of grammatical or semantic non sequitur, but it completely avoids me at the moment.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC