Mad unknown

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Mad unknown

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:23 pm

"Oh, rooftop parks. You know, I was thinking of taking a date here and go around trying to find rooftop parks. But I have to say, Sansome was definitely one of the best rooftop parks in the city in my opinion. This is because I have several things that this place meets. This place is mad unknown to the normal eye. You have to actively search for this place."

Hi everyone! What does "mad unknown to the normal eye" mean? I searched online but I found no results so I guess this is not a fixed sentence or an idiom.

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Mad unknown

Post by trolley » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Theyre using mad as a substitute for very, completely or extremely. Its a slang usage that I first noticed about ten years ago and you are most likely to hear it from a younger person. If youre using mad this way (as an adverb), it should be madly. Compare
"He was mad in love"
"He was madly in love"
Even at that, I wouldnt use in this case...."it was madly unknown" just doesn't work, for me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Mad unknown

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:14 am

trolley : I’m really sorry about my late reply. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC