Setting a sprat to catch a mackerel

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Setting a sprat to catch a mackerel

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 pm

- Setting a sprat to catch a mackerel, the store is offering in its summer sale a chrome blender for £99 (was £149) to those who spend £50 or more.

Hi everybody! According to an online dictionary "Setting a sprat to catch a mackerel" is primarily heard in the UK. Is it used in conversations in the US and Canada, as well?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Setting a sprat to catch a mackerel

Post by trolley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Not in my neck of the Canadian woods, Steve. I don't think I've ever heard it. In fact, I had to look up sprat to see what is was (besides that guy who couldn't eat fat). I can't think of another saying that conveys that same idea (using something small to gain something much larger). I thought about sayings like "for want of a nail..." or "from the tiny acorn grows the mighty oak" but those aren't really the same idea. Those are about big things happening as a result of small things...the "butterfly effect " or the big doors, small hinges thing we discussed a while ago.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Although I know the idiom as a British speaker, I cannot remember the last time I heard or read it. As far as I can judge, it is not common in the UK either!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:11 am

trolley and Phil White : Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC