compared to

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

compared to

Post by navi » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:58 am

1) She is tall among the girls in her class, but not among both the boys and the girls in her class.
2) She is tall compared to the girls in her class, but not compared to both the boys and the girls in her class.
3) She is tall among the girls in her class, but not among all the children in her class including the boys.

I was trying to express this idea and came up with these sentences. I don't know if they are grammatical or not. Are they?
I'd be interested to see if there are other ways to express this idea. It seems like a simple idea, but I find it hard to put it into words.

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: compared to

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:34 am

In her class she's tall for a girl, but not compared to the boys.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Solutions similar to Erik's were what occurred to me.

I would merely add that there are many who still insist on "compared with" in preference to "compared to". It is also my own preference, but the usual argument in favour of "compared with", namely that the prefix "com- / con-" means "with", is prescriptive nonsense. I probably prefer it because it was what I was taught.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm

You also have the option of compared against:

In her class she's tall for a girl, but not compared against the boys.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC