Bossed by one's girlfriend

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bossed by one's girlfriend

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi everybody! What term or adjective do you use to describe a boy who is bossed by his girlfriend?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Bossed by one's girlfriend

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:07 am

Most that spring to mind aren't specific to the situation that you describe. They are more generic terms describing someone being bullied by another person, without regard to their gender or their relationship to each other...badgered, browbeaten, coerced, dominated, intimidated. There are two that I can think of that are exactly what you are looking for. The first one is "henpecked". I think most native speakers would understand exactly what that means and not be offended (well, the hen might be offended). The second one is "pussy whipped". Use that one carefully...know your audience. Look those two up for thorough explanations. Pussy whipped was later shortened to p-whipped and finally to whipped but the definition is the same even without the slang genital reference.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:01 pm

"A boy with a girlfriend" is synonymous with "a boy who is bossed around by his girlfriend".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:26 am

trolley : Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer. You were so funny when you wrote "the hen might be offended" :D Phil White : Thanks so much for your input.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Lancer21 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am

Yes, pussy-whipped is the thing you'd rather keep among friends who can handle some crude words there and there, it's better not to use this term in a business meeting or with university professors :lol: you could also say that the girlfriend has him on a leash, or that she has bent him to her will.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 pm

The poor bloke is "nagged".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Lancer21 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:34 pm

This reminds me of a really crass joke I've seen at a friend's house; his teenage son was watching South Park while I was waiting for him to bring something from the fridge, and there came a scene at a TV show where one character had to find the last letter of a hidden word to win a prize.
The uncovered letters were N_GGERS.
The definition was "People who annoy you".
Of course, the missing letter was an "A". :lol:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC