Live off one's parents

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Live off one's parents

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi guys! What nouns do you use to describe a son or a daughter who just hangs out with his or her friends every day, doesn't work and lives off his or her parents?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Live off one's parents

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:14 pm

I'd call them fortunate to be able to have this brief interlude in which to enjoy life before exponentially accelerating climate catastrophe, a global financial meltdown, planetary ecosystem collapse and/or famine takes us all down, probably around 1-2 years from now (depending on where one happens to be living).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

I would call him, A-lazy-sod-who-will-live-to-regret-being-a-lazy-sod-when-his-parents-have-popped-off.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Bobinwales wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm
I would call him, A-lazy-sod-who-will-live-to-regret-being-a-lazy-sod-when-his-parents-have-popped-off.
He probably won't outlive his parents.

Steve: I don't think there's a specific term for that category of person. More general terms for someone who lives off someone else without making a contribution are scrounger, sponger, moocher, leech and parasite. In America, someone who continues to live with their parents when they are adult is sometimes called a basement dweller — a reference to the fact that many homes in the USA have basements with sufficient room to accommodate a grown child.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:15 am

Bob : Thanks so much for your sentence. Erik: Thanks very much for the terms you provided. They really help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC