Shortie

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Shortie

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 am

A: Tall people are sharing their everyday struggles in 50 funny pictures.
B: My husband is 6'3'' tall and I'm 4'10'' tall. I feel for all the shorties. But the tall ones can't ride all the roller coasters, either.

- Hi everybody! What is the common antonym of "shortie"? I searched online but no results.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Shortie

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:34 am

Shorties is successful , in part, because it sound good. Tallies rather misses the mark on that.

I would use lanky (lankies) or giants but neither have that comfortable group feeling that shorties achieves. Lanky may be a bit old fashioned and giant may be a bit off the scale unless the relativeness is obvious. I have a cousin who is 4'3" whilst our family ranges from 5'11" to 6'7". My cousin calls our home "the land of the giants".

Brobdingnags also works. But the reference is oddly obscure so may well be lost on your audience. Meanwhile Lilliputian would be understood quite well.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Yes, it is odd. There is no common, generic, colloquial term for tall people. Without resorting to some of the rather obscure metaphors and references Tony suggests, you only really have "tall people".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Sometimes very tall (or very fat) people are given humorous nicknames that relate to the opposite end of the size spectrum, such as 'Tiny', 'Midget', or 'Titch'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Phil White wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm
There is no common, generic, colloquial term for tall people.
...and this seems to be the case with animals, as well. I can find no antonyms for "runt" (the smallest animal in a litter)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:15 am

tony h, Phil White, Erik and trolley : Thank you all very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:08 pm

trolley wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:29 pm
Phil White wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm
There is no common, generic, colloquial term for tall people.
...and this seems to be the case with animals, as well. I can find no antonyms for "runt" (the smallest animal in a litter)
Try "Jumbo" or "Big Fella" (i.e. 'fellow').
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC