An eatery that cheats a customer

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

An eatery that cheats a customer

Post by Stevenloan » Mon May 27, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi everyone! A customer eats at a eatery, he orders two cheeseburgers and a Pepsi, when he asks for the cheque, it costs him $300. What words or phrases do you use to call this kind of eatery that cheats the customer?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: An eatery that cheats a customer

Post by BonnieL » Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Gouging. But that's such an over-the-top amount no one in their right mind would pay it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Mon May 27, 2019 10:28 pm

I would call it a bloody rip-off.
I would also have asked for the bill. Our American friends would probably ask for the check.
This is a cheque in the UK (American English "check").
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon May 27, 2019 10:29 pm

I'm not aware of any term specifically for an eatery that price-gouges / overcharges / takes financial advantage of its customers. In general terms, such a company could be called a rip-off merchant, sharks, thieves, or robbers. ("Don't buy anything from them. They're absolute sharks!")

(A loan shark is an individual or company that lends money at usurious rates of interest.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue May 28, 2019 11:31 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 pm
Gouging. But that's such an over-the-top amount no one in their right mind would pay it.
It depends on what sort of dollar. If it is , say, Zimbabwean it is about US$6 so a bit of a ripoff but not too bad for the average tourist.

:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Wed May 29, 2019 1:05 am

I would like to thank you all very much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC