I'd like to coin the phrase: advertiser's apostrophe

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

I'd like to coin the phrase: advertiser's apostrophe

Post by tony h » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:46 pm

Today I saw an advertisement which included: All the family welcome: mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunt's, uncles. Now, it is my belief that the apostrophe is not simply a mistake but rather a deliberate mistake. The purpose of which is to get people complaining about it on social media. Thus generating more exposure, more advertising, for the event.

Hence the "advertiser's apostrophe" is the deliberate misuse of punctuation to generate interest.

:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: I'd like to coin the phrase: advertiser's apostrophe

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:56 pm

That reminds me of the apparent explanation for so many scam emails containing obvious errors and typos.

See here for more details.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: I'd like to coin the phrase: advertiser's apostrophe

Post by Shelley » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:54 pm

That's very interesting - a screener for potential dupes. What's really cool, though, is the pi pie pic next to the article. (Don't know if it appears in everyone's screen -- could be a regional thing.)
So tony h, I will point out the advertiser's apostrophe, by name, whenever I see it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC