A close second

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A close second

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:53 am

A: What's your favorite coffee chain?
B: I like Starbucks the best, with Dunkin Donuts a close second.

Hi everybody! I say "I like Starbucks the best, with Dunkin Donuts a close second" to mean that "I like both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, but I prefer Starbucks". Is it used correctly in this situation?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A close second

Post by tony h » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Whether it is used correctly, and it may be, depends on your opinion of Dunking Doughnuts.

To understand it, it is easier to think of it in competitive terms.

A>1000 B>500, C>450 - A was way ahead of the competition.

A>1000 B>700 C>600 - A won with a comfortable lead.

A>1000 B>900 C>600 - A won with B not far behind.

A>1000 B>970 C>600 - A won with B coming in a close second.

A>1000 B>999 C>600 - A got to the finish first but B was right there with him. There was really nothing in it!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Shelley » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Stevenloan, I think you've used the phrase perfectly in your coffee example. Like tony h says, when something beats something else by a very small margin, it's called "a close second." There are bunches of idioms to describe a very close finish between competitors: beaten by a hair/nose; a photo-finish; (one) on the heels of (the other) . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:09 am

tony h and Shelley : Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC