poor

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

poor

Post by azz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 am

a. It was a poor house.
b. It was a poor car.

In one 'poor' and 'house' are two words. We are not talking about a poorhouse (a workhouse).

I think (b) can only mean that it was a car in poor condition. (a) seems ambiguous to me. It might mean a house in bad condition or a house in which poor people would live, a house that was a sign of poverty.

Would you agree with that?

Many thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: poor

Post by Shelley » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi azz. I don't find (a) to be ambiguous. It might be ambiguous if you were speaking the two words: a person might hear "poorhouse." On paper, though, I take "poor house" to simply mean badly built, rundown, or otherwise not up to standard. I might use a more specific word to describe a structure's disrepair, but poor is ok.

There are many other words to describe a house where poverty stricken people might live (i.e. hovel, shack, hut, crack den). However, even if a structure is a hut or a shack, that doesn't necessarily mean its occupants are poor. To be precise, you could say "low-income housing."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: poor

Post by Phil White » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Yes, I agree with Shelley. There is no ambiguity. And the term "poorhouse" is now historical, so few people would think of using it outside of a historical context. Incidentally, a "poorhouse" and a "workhouse" are not strictly synonyms, although the reality in the 19th century often meant that a poorhouse was in effect a workhouse.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC