What do you call this job position?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

What do you call this job position?

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 am

Hi everybody! What do you call a woman or a man who is hired to clean toilets, tidies up offices, makes tea or coffee for employers, prepares water for meetings in a company or a building, and works from 8 am to 6 pm or from 9 am to 5 pm?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: What do you call this job position?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:09 am

Janitor (Mainly US)
Caretaker (Mainly UK)

The hours worked are incidental, i.e. they are not relevant to your question.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:52 pm

In my office building, and in many New York office buildings, the hours are not incidental, because the crew who cleans offices and maintains bathrooms (i.e., cleans the toilets) usually works at night or, at least, after 6:00 pm or thereabouts. That's so they can do their jobs without interruption, and without interrupting the jobs of the people occupying those offices.

Generally, the people who are hired as a cleaning crew are totally separate from the "office support staff". Office support, known by many titles, is more likely be called upon to set up meetings (including water, coffee, and such), and would usually do those tasks during business hours (i.e., 9:00 am to 5:00 pm). Depending upon how big an office is, there might be a few levels of office support staff -- managers, assistants, administrative assistants, secretaries -- the list goes on.

Who makes the coffee? Hmmm. Good question. Now, with individual coffee-making machines (Keurig, for example), everyone can pretty much make their own. Usually, the first 12-cup pot is made by the first needy person who arrives in the morning. Nobody's asked me to make coffee since the 70's (hear me roar).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 pm

I pretty much agree with Shelley that the roles are split in most offices and that the making of tea is no longer a service generally available. Erik's Janitor and Caretaker are much more about the looking after the premises with cleaning as a part of that.

In the old days, as my children refer to times before they were born, we had charladies. They did clean and also brought round the trollies (4' by 2') rattling with cups and saucers and a rack of buns or sandwiches three times a day. The tea was poured from two gallon tea pots - no coffee … ever!

In these days of disparaging gendered terms I note (OED) :
Charwoman 1596
charfolk 1661
charperson 1881
charmaid 1882
charman 1888
charlady 1895
Charboy 1902
chargirl 1932
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Shelley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:41 pm

In 2019, the person who heads the cleaning crew committee would be called the "Char."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm

Shelley wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:41 pm
In 2019, the person who heads the cleaning crew committee would be called the "Char."
In the abbreviated version of char I would expect a domestic servant substantially equivalent to cleaner. A char would never live in. Some households of my youth had butler, cook and char, alternatively a butler and maid. But mostly a cook, housekeeper.

In order of social acceptance by the mistress of the house it went : skivvy, char(woman), maid, housekeeper, au pair, companion.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by trolley » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 pm

The Char recognizes Shelley's comment.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 pm

Thank God! I've had my hand raised for hours!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC