Dog paddle

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Dog paddle

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:12 am

Hi everybody! I want to ask my friend if he can swim the stroke like a dog does. Are the questions below used correctly in this case?

1. Can you do the dog paddle?
2. Can you swim the doggie style?

Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Dog paddle

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 pm

I've always known this as the doggy paddle:

"Can you do the doggy paddle?"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:07 pm

If I were asking this question, I would shorten it to "Can you dog-paddle?"

Not touching that other one . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:55 pm

It's "dog paddle" over here. Steve, we should warn you about your other choice. When you use the term "doggy style"...well, perhaps you should just look it up. I did get a pretty funny picture in my head as I thought about swimming doggy style.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:21 pm

trolley wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:55 pm
. . . perhaps you should just look it up.
Geez, trolley, don't tell him to look it up! He'll just get a virus or something!

Stevenloan, go there if you must: I hope you're well protected. That's the last I'm going to say on the matter. :wink:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Rufus Miles » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 pm

regardless of all that, in British usage it really is doggie paddle...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen." Jorge Luis Borges

Post by trolley » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:13 am

On a side note, I’m not so sure I’d call the dog/doggie paddle a “stroke”. It’s really just a notch and a half above drowning (when performed by humans). I think of strokes as long, full movements…breaststroke, backstroke, sidestroke (whatever happened to that?). Steven, it would seem more natural that you would ask your friend whether they could swim, or not. If they can swim, then they can do the dog paddle. If someone can only swim the dog paddle, then they can’t really swim.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Thank you all so so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC