Wool hat

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Wool hat

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 am

https://tienphong24h.blogspot.com/2014/ ... a-ong.html (The tenth picture)

Hi guys! Is it correct to describe this "a wool hat with a wool bun on the top and two small and long ropes on both sides of the ears"?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Wool hat

Post by tony h » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:41 pm

In general it might come out like this: "Have you seen my knitted, pink pompom hat with the ear muffs?" "Is it the one with the pompom chin ties?"

How much of the description you use depends on either how much information is required to uniquely identify it ("my woolly hat" might do) or , say for a sales advert, how to describe it fully.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by trolley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm

That style of hat is called a "Laplander hat"...although a Laplander might not agree.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 pm

I'd call those "ear flaps". Ear muffs are something else, in my neck of the tundra.

Never called it a Laplander hat, but yeah -- it's definitely what you see when you look up the name. Come to think of it, I've never really called that kind of hat anything, 'cept maybe "the hat my friend made when she (or he) was using up all the old yarn she inherited from her grandma."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:34 pm

It's a chullo, a.k.a. Peruvian hat. When I was a kid, in my junior school we simply called this kind of thing a pompom hat or knitted hat.

The one in the photo seems to feature a lot of variations on the basic style.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:45 pm

I like it: when it's chilly, I wear my chullo.
The ear-flaps, though, are what distinguish this hat from other knitted headwear. I have lots of knitted hats, but if I need the one with ear-flaps (my chullo) none of the others will do.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:07 am

trolley, Shelley and Erik: Thank you all very much for your help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC