Food stamps

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Food stamps

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:05 pm

A: A $450 dinner, $45 whiskey: Two financial regulators ring up the expenses. They are federal financial regulators who filed for expenses like corporate CEOs, seeking reimbursement for limos, deluxe air travel and meals in posh restaurants.

B: So easy to spend taxpayers money. Then some of these same people get uptight over who should have food stamps.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... 5a12e93bda

- Hi everybody! I know the meaning of "get uptight" and "food stamps". Does the writer use heavy sarcasm when he writes "some of these same people get uptight over who should have food stamps."?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Food stamps

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Yes. The writer is highlighting the great hypocrisy of people who are benefiting from public money being spent on their own lavish and extravagant lifestyles, but object to tiny amounts of money being allocated to the poor.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes.
I didn't see the writer as being sarcastic. Nor would I have said the writer was ironic. Simply the writer is poining out the irony, or extreme irony, of the scenario.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Fair point, Tony.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am

Erik and tony h: Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC