The most real estate

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

The most real estate

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call a woman or a man who owns the most real estate in a country or is the biggest landowner in a country?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: The most real estate

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 pm

I don't know of a specific word for that person. I assume there is a word in your native language. Probably the closest thing in English would be "richest" but that refers to all of a persons assets and not just landownership. Sometimes you need to use a phrase to describe something and I would use the same descriptive phrase that you did, "the biggest landowner in a (the) country?"
PS: Before anyone asks if that could mean the largest person in the country who owns land, the answer is "No".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:39 pm

I can't think of a specific word for this person, off the top of my head, but the following come to mind:

Real-estate tycoon, real-estate mogul, real-estate titan, Croesus, land-grabber, lord of the manor, landlord, carpet-bagger (a stretch, perhaps) . . .

The list goes on.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:30 am

"majority landholder" would work.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:52 am

Stevenloan what is the situation that requires this word. It isn't a concept that seems to have a natural phrase in English.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm

trolley, Shelley and gdwdwrkr : Thank you guys very much. tony h : I was reading an article about "Who owns Britain: Top UK Landowners" and I wondered if there was a term for a person who is the biggest landowner. Thanks for asking.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC