Barriers

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Barriers

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call this kind of barrier? They were used by the police to stop demonstrators in Vietnam.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Barriers

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:35 pm

I don't know of any specific designation for barriers of this type. However, they can be described in literal terms as portable (or lightweight) barbed-wire barriers.

It amuses me that someone has inserted roses into one of the barriers in the top photo: attractive bearers of thorns juxtaposed with unattractive and obnoxious barbs and spikes.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:11 pm

I’ve never seen that particular type (with barbed wire) but those kind of things are crowd-control barricades, often called “riot fences”
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Trolley's answer is on the money.

Here's a site that sells numerous different items of a similar nature to those barriers/barricades and therefore provides a lot of associated vocabulary if you should need it:

https://safefence.co.uk/crowd-and-traff ... riers.html
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 am

Erik and trolley : Thank you both so so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Geez. I'd call those things inhumane -- imagine being at the edge of a tightly packed, surging crowd and forced into it. Really puts a damper on your average peace march.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC