World of a difference

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

World of a difference

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:49 am

"People need to start thinking about their first job well before they graduate, Burning Glass Technologies’ Sigelman said. He said students should enroll in courses, and seek out internships and jobs while they’re in college that will show employers they’re prepared for the job. “That can make a world of a difference,” he said."

- Hi everyone! Between "That can make a world of a difference" and "That can make a world of difference", which one is correct?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: World of a difference

Post by Phil White » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 am

I would always use "a world of difference". I am not at all sure I have ever heard "a world of a difference", but "a world of a difference" does not seem wrong to me.

I get almost 19 million hits on Google for "a world of difference", compared to just 14 thousand hits for "a world of a difference", so the expression is much more common without the "a".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Rufus Miles » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm

i see you have taken your quotation from an article on CNBC, Steven, so in this case "enroll" would also be correct...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen." Jorge Luis Borges

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Phil White and Rufus Miles : Thank you both so much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC