Rodeo Drive

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Rodeo Drive

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:52 am

"I was street-smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive."

Hi guys! The sentence above was said by an actress named Carrie Fisher. She starred in Star Wars, a film series. I Googled "Rodeo Drive" and it means "The biggest fashion area in Beverly Hills, CA.". I guess "Rodeo Drive" is used in a figurative way in this case, is it correct? If yes, what does it mean?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Rodeo Drive

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Wait!
Carrie Fisher starred in Star Wars!?
Star Wars is a film-series!?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:39 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_Fisher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars

"Star Wars is an American epic space opera franchise, created by George Lucas and centered around a film series that began with the eponymous 1977 movie. The saga quickly became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon."

"Carrie Frances Fisher (October 21, 1956 – December 27, 2016) was an American actress, writer, and comedian.[3] Fisher was known for playing Princess Leia in the Star Wars films, a role for which she was nominated for four Saturn Awards."

Hi gdwdwrkr! I found the two links above. I hope they help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Rufus Miles » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:26 pm

I suspect irony in gdwdwrkrs post, steven
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen." Jorge Luis Borges

Post by tony h » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:27 pm

I think the first thing here is that "street-smart" means the ability to get along in areas that are rough neighbourhoods eg there may be gangs, drugs and knives. The street smart person will get along with people and not be at risk of attack.

Carrie is making a joke here because her "street-smart" is not the street of the troubled areas. Hers is Rodeo Drive. Rodeo Drive is a place for the fashionable, the elegant and wealthy to shop. Carrie's street smart is about how to get service buying luxury goods.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Rodeo is an interesting word. I've always pronounced it "RO-dee-o" (grew up in the NW US & went to rodeos). Then I heard the song (don't remember which it is) that pronounced it "ro-DAY-o." Rodeo Drive is pronounced the 2nd way. My quick read on it is that Rodeo Drive is pronounced closer to the original Spanish, and the way I pronounce it is more American.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:40 pm

It's a "RO-dee-o", for me and everyone I know (except when talking about that particular street). Carribean is another strange one. I flop back and forth on that one. I'd call the movie: "Pirates of the Car-i-BEE-an" but when describing those particular pirates I'd say they were Ca-RIB-e-an pirates. I don't even know why...that's just how it comes out of my mouth...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Appalachian is another one of those.
And being one of those, we used to have PEEKin buns.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:07 pm

Yes, we had PEE-kans, too. My family couldn't afford those hoity toity, frou frou pee-KAHNS.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Thank you guys so so much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC