Up to the D

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Up to the D

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi everyone! This is a personal quote from a Hollywood actor called Jack Black : "If Beethoven and Bach hooked up with Mozart and made a band, they COULD be a distant runner up to The D.". What does "a distant runner up to The D" mean in this situation?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Up to the D

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:26 pm

This expression, which I had not previously encountered, was a bit of a head-scratcher.

I found that quote on a motivational quotes website, but nowhere else; the expression "up to the D" appears to be almost unknown to Google except as false positives.

It was only when I looked up Jack Black on Wikipedia that I found the likely answer to your question: "Black is the lead singer and guitarist for the comedy rock/hard rock band Tenacious D."

So I think Black is referring to the name of his band, which he has abbreviated to "The D" in the quoted hyperbolic remark — one I assume he made facetiously with the aim of titillating his fans. The fact that the word the is capitalized supports the inference that it is his own band he has in mind.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Steve, "runner-up" (note the hyphen) is probably what Jack said. The runner-up is someone who doesn't win the race but finishes ahead of the majority, often in second place. Jack is saying that, in a "battle of the bands", the Mozart/Bach combo would finish far behind his band.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:45 pm

ah, yes...the little used punctuation mark
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Hey there, Wordwizards!

I'm sure Erik's take is correct, Steven. As soon as I read the quote, I knew Jack Black had to be referring to Tenacious D. When it came out, the CD was a Christmas present for my then pre-teenager. I listened and was appalled at the profanity, so I hid it away. I mean, Jack Black is really talented, and it was good musicianship and all, but way X-rated for our household (uh, meaning me, I guess) at the time. By the way, in case my son, who is now almost 30, reads this: It's the only time I ever did that with any of your stuff, son! I promise!

And yes, I agree with trolley: the hyphen in "runner-up" is essential to the full meaning of the sentence, Steven.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:00 pm

In confirmation of Erik and Trolley's theme, this Facebook post seems to confirm their theory. On Jack Black's page he has posted a picture of (what I take to be) his band with the words "If Beethoven and Bach hooked up with Mozart and made a band, they could be a distant runner up to The D" (Jack Black 24 August 2013)

https://www.facebook.com/JackBlack/post ... 57898801:0
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

My wonderful Mom hid our LP of Hair between her box-spring and mattress.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 pm

That is very funny! Hair wasn't even that bad, but bad enough in those days.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:00 am

Hi Shelly
I'd have thought she'd have mattressed Inna Gadda Da Vida after the thousandth playing, too....
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:41 am

I was lucky, in that my mom never really paid attention to lyrics. She could appreciate good music, though. I remember her digging my Led Zepplin albums and thinking to myself “man, you’d be mortified if you actually listened to what Robert was saying!” Oddly enough, my wife is a huge music fan with a varied taste, and she too, doesn’t really listen to lyrics. I’ll often comment on a lyric in a certain song and she won’t know which song I mean…but if I could hum a few bars… Honestly how can you appreciate the blues without hearing the story? That’s a huge part of the attraction for me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Nobody loves me but my Mother, and she could be jivin' too.
Lyrics, and how we hear them, can be funny.
Only recently have I stopped wondering who the hell "Leslie" is in the song "Groovin'".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:06 am

Thank you all very very much for your help. I really appreciate it. Enjoy your weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC