Chrome lock

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Chrome lock

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:42 pm

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/healt ... -feet-back

Hi guys! What do you call the kind of chrome lock of the glass jar?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Chrome lock

Post by trolley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:11 pm

I can't think of a specific name for that type of jar or that type of locking mechanism. I'd probably just use a brief description..."one of those jars with the clamp-down lids." I see several references, online, to "Fido jars". Fido was a brand name of food storage jars, of this type, made by the glass company Bormilio Rocco. Fido might be evolving into a genericized term but it's probably too early to expect that everyone will know what you mean.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:31 pm

We would call them kilner jars. But what the mechanism is called is anyone's guess.
(A man called Kilner invented them in Yorkshire)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:51 pm

I would call the clamp a spring-clip {retainer / fastener}.

Jars for home canning are usually referred to as Kilner jars in the UK (as Bob mentioned), and Mason jars in the USA.

I have also found them described online as Fido jars (which Trolley mentioned) and wire bale jars. Both of these two names are new to me, and neither of them scores very many Google hits, so my guess is that Kilner jar and Mason jar are the most usual terms.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:09 pm

...nor does either have anything to do with chrome.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:45 am

Thank you all very much for your answers. Have your best Christmas ever! :)

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:10 pm

The jars are designed for preserving food. This is done by heating the contents with the lid held in place. During heating pressure builds up in the jar and steam will escape. There are two main methods of holding the lid on during the heating, these are a screw down clip or , as in this case, a spring clip.When the jar cools a partial vacuum is formed and the lid is held on by the vacuum. At this point the spring clip can be undone, or the screw clamp can be removed.
In all cases (that I know of) the bottle and fastening is known by the brand of the glass bottle manufacturers. These were used as an alternative to tin cans. The process is still often referred to as canning although some people will say bottling.

Clip top or Spring clips are now often used as decorative closures on jars. Clip tops are also used on pressurised bottles such as beer bottles.

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:43 pm

tony h : Thank you very much for your answer and the picture.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC