Commencement

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Commencement

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:54 pm

"Bradley Cooper had to miss his graduation commencement to film "Wet Hot American Summer" (2001).

Hi everyone! Between "graduation commencement" and "graduation ceremony", which one is more commonly used?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Commencement

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Steven,

A Google search produced the following number of hits:

1) graduation commencement – 174,000

2) graduation ceremony – 10,100,000

3) graduation commencement ceremony – 26,700 (Note that 3 is contained in 1)

So “graduation ceremony” is the winner by a wide margin!

Ken Greenwald – December 22, 2018
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm

I’ve heard “graduation ceremony” and “commencement ceremony” but I don’t think I’ve ever heard “graduation commencement”
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:05 am

trolley wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm
I’ve heard “graduation ceremony” and “commencement ceremony” but I don’t think I’ve ever heard “graduation commencement”
Me neither. Aren't they the same thing?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:22 am

I always used them as the same thing. Commencement and graduation are different names for the same event...maybe from the idea of moving forward...of beginning.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Rufus Miles » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:10 am

in any case "commencement" is a pompous word, to be avoided if possible
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen." Jorge Luis Borges

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Ken Greenwald, trolley, BonnieL and Rufus Miles : Thank you all so so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:24 pm

I have never heard of a "commencement". Is this something that only happens in the USA?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Bobinwales wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:24 pm
I have never heard of a "commencement". Is this something that only happens in the USA?
As far as I know, this term is used chiefly in North America (i.e. also including Canada). The allusion is to the beginning of the new graduate's life as a full adult.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:35 am

...and that surprises me because I'd always just assumed that "commencement" was a British usage.It sounds a little more proper...or pompous, depending on your point of view.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC